23 septembre 2006

Don't want to be bothered? Please press 2!

Yesterday I went to Sears to buy appliances for my new place. I was so happy about my new stuff that I called my mom to tell her all about the options the stove had and how energy efficient my new washer would be.
Then today I got a call from Sears... an automated voice invited me in English to participate in a 5-minute survey about the new fridge that I had just bought. It couldn't possibly having been delivered yet, hence making any kind of survey about product satisfaction hardly relevant. As my mom could tell you, I'm excited about my appliances and a chance to talk about them is welcome, so when the voice switched to French and asked me to select number 2 to continue en français, I pressed 2. I was expecting the first question about my new fridge, but instead, this is what I got: Au revoir! (and click). I had just been disconnected for selecting French!!!!!
Now, Sears has stores nationwide and I can't imagine that customers in Québec are greeted in English when they pick up the phone and are invited to participate in a survey about product satisfaction. If that were the case, I am certain customers would have complained to the OQLF already. Thanks to Bill 101, this type of linguistic practices would be unlawful in Québec. In other words, there are good reasons to believe that the French version exists somewhere and should as a result be available nationwide relatively easily.
So what does the practice of "raccrocher au nez des clients francophones de l'Alberta" mean? I'm sort of amused, sort of offended, and sort of lost here...

1 commentaire:

Anonyme a dit...

Tout d'abord, thanks for the laugh. Ça m'a fait du bien :)

Pour ce qui est du service en français, je doute qu'il y ait un double service en français : service pour le Québec et service pour le reste du Canada. Il y a sûrement eu un problème technique.

Ça me fait penser à un incident semblable que j'ai eu en tentant de parler à un préposé au service à la clientèle chez Bell, entreprise qui dessert autant de clients francophone qu'anglophones. J'avais quelques questions à poser au sujet de ma première facture de téléphone. La première fois que j'ai appelé, le système m'a raccroché au nez; il a fait de même la seconde fois (et je faisais affaire avec une compagnie de téléphone?!). La troisième fois, j'ai sélectionné le français comme langue de communication, en espérant qu'un agent au Québec pourrait m'aider. Non. Même après avoir dit 'français', mon appel a été acheminé au côté anglais quand même.

Ma quatrième tentative a été une réussite. Quand la fille a répondu (je n'ai même pas été obligé d'attendre, elle a accroché tout de suite!), elle m'a demandé si j'allais bien. Je lui ai expliqué ce qui venait de m'arriver, après quoi je m'attendais à ce qu'elle s'excuse au nom de la compagnie. Eh non. Elle m'a dit "Ouais, ça arrive des fois".

Some days you win, some days it's better to just go back to bed.